Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Looking Through the Windshield

One of the many joys of parenting my children is that they are learning to drive.  Joshua is doing a great job driving me around town.  I love to give him hints here or there for being a safer and better driver.  He is so good to take these observations and to apply many of them.  He's going to be a great driver.

As we were cruising down Route 60 the other day, I sat looking at spring erupting throughout the Bluegrass.  The tender green grass shoots were pushing through the dead grasses of last year.  Tiny leaves were beginning to appear on the trees, and spring flowers were pregnant with their buds.  Spring is a time of new beginnings, a time of freshness.

Joshua, on the other hand, kept looking in his rear-view mirror, trying to keep abrest of everything as we cruised along at 55 mph.  As we passed bike riders, Joshua would look in the rear view mirror at them.   Similarly, as we drove past places he knew, he watched them in the rear view mirror.

I commend Joshua on his keeping alert and watching all around as he drove, but cautioned him about spending too much time looking in the rear view mirror.  Then it hit me.   Life is like driving a car.

As I speed along the highway of life, I am realizing that most experiences come and go.   After they have passed, I no longer look through the windshield at them, but rather glance in the rear view mirror from time to time.  I am no means suggesting that I forget my past successes and failures.   I would not be who I am without those experiences.  Rather, I am suggesting that if I spend too much time looking in the rear view mirror, I will miss the beauty this season of life has to offer.  Life is beautiful.

So, here's my tip for the day.  The windshield is so much larger than the rear view mirror because one should spend most of his time looking forward.

Happy Cruising! 



No comments: