Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Jet Trails





(Pictures above from the garden this morning.....Charlie's blueberries, a grasshopper crawling up my arm this morning, and Grace's sunflowers)

This morning was such a quiet morning. Andy and Joshua left for camp on Sunday, John and Grace spent the night with my folks, and Charlie left for Bardstown this morning to go to the Boy Scout camp to update his lifeguard status. It is terribly quiet here.

Earlier, I brewed myself a cup of espresso and headed out onto the deck. The birds were twittering in the trees, singing songs of a summer morning. A sudden, cool breeze blew, sending an unexpected chill up my spine. I looked up, expecting to see a thundercloud above, but noticed jet trails on the backdrop of a thin mackerel sky.

There were only a few jet trails. However, those few jet trails were enough to get me daydreaming. Who was flying at this hour? Where were they headed? Chicago? NYC? DC? Atlanta? Who were they meeting? Who was picking them up at the airport? Will they have a sweet reunion? Was this a father who has been away on business, rushing home to have a late breakfast with his children? Was this a mother who has been spending a bit of a summner break with friends and is headed home, refreshed for her long summer days ahead with the kids? Was this a man who is surprising his lover by flying to her hometown and taking his sweetheart to lunch? I would love to know the stories!!

Hearing Jake scratch at the glass door brought me falling back to earth, my head no longer in the clouds. I put on some flip-flips and headed out to the garden to look it over before heading out to work. Things are progressing as they should. The garden is beautiful.

I sneaked a quick peek at the sky before heading in dooors to get ready for work. So many stories; so many possibilities, and so little time.

I had such a nice morning. Welcome summer!

No comments: