Saturday, June 19, 2010

Time Traveller's Wife

Tonight was movie night here. We chose to watch The Time Traveller's Wife. (If you haven't seen it, it makes a good date movie.) It has been a weekend filled with lots of different emotions, so the movie was a perfect match. In other words, a good chick flick!

I wonder.....would I enjoy being a time traveller? Yes, I think I would. I love new experiences and new people, something I am learning about myself. I also like to know what is happening, even if I can't control it; it seems to settle me overall to have knowledge. However, the whole not travelling with your clothes isn't for me; something would have to be done about that!

Imagine, getting to see things all over again! Getting to have another, extra conversation with a loved one who has passed. I know I would give nearly anything to spend some time with my Nanny again. Also, you would get to see your lover grow and fall in love with you once again. How many of us treasure that moment and would love to relive it a thousand times again. It would certainly be a remarkable gift to relive those happy, golden moments.

There is a pain, though, and a saddness that must come from time travelling. You miss living in the moment. Whether joy or saddness, pride or shame, love or disinterest....you miss living that moment the second you are whisked away in time. It is like getting to the end of the tootsie pop and not getting to have the tootsie roll inside! To NEARLY experience life is the trade off for being a time traveller. There is a cost.

I wonder....could I stand to be a time traveller's wife? Absolutely no! I could not easily endure at all the seperation from the one I love most. Absence does not make the heart grow fonder, rather it is a constant sting, as if tiny ice needles pierce your heart. Can you imagine being in a quiet setting, savoring every precious moment when....zip....off the time traveller goes. No warning, no good-bye...just here and then gone. No, I could not stand to be the time traveller's wife. It would break my heart.

In the movie, the love and the romance between the time traveller and his wive was palpable; it ran thick and deep. Everytime he left her, she died a little inside, and yearned for the moment he returned. She waited patiently, loving all the while. Everytime he returned, she welcomed him with open arms, overjoyed at his return.

They were living every minute, every second to its fullest; they were living out loud!

Sweet dreams....I'm turning in for the night!

No comments: