Thursday, December 18, 2008

DON'T do the DEW!

Sometimes I just don't get it. Those of you who went to junior high and high school with me realize that I really didn't get into a whole lot of anything growing up. The friends I have made as an adult did not think that people like me really exist. Sometimes, I wonder how I managed to get to be 40 without knowing a few things. Take Mountain Dew for instance...

I work two nights a week really late hours. I usually have a diet coke about 8:00 or 9:00. That one diet coke seems to work just long enough for me to finish my work (about midnight) and drive home safely.

One night back in October, we had some the A2C (middle school aged kids) over for a fall party. They left, and I started cleaning up. I saw there was a bit of Mountain Dew left over, so I poured a glass. It was so good! I haven't had Mountain Dew in YEARS. I poured another two glasses to finish out the liter.

After I cleaned up, I went to bed. You guessed it. I couldn't sleep. I could not figure out what was happening. I seemed to be quite awake.

I don't recall now whether it was my 15 year old son, my husband, or my best friend that told me the next day that it was the Mountain Dew that kept me up. Whoever it was could hardly believe that I didn't know the large caffeine content of Mountain Dew.

Here was my thought process that night...I wanted a little soda. There was some Sprite, but there is no caffeine in Sprite, and I needed a little pick me up. There was Diet Coke, but I thought that would be too strong. I needed something in between... Since Sprite is clear and Diet Coke is dark, I thought the yellow Mountain Dew would have just a hint of caffeine.

Needless to say, that is another cultural lesson that I should have known, but did not. Where was I when they held classes on things like this???

Living and Learning,
Beth

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hi, Beth! I will admit I have never even tasted Mountain Dew. I did know it was loaded with caffeine, but even that tempting quality won't get me to taste something that looks so yucky!

Beverly said...

I'm with Tiffany. I don't think I've ever tasted Mountain Dew, but I know enough NOT to let my children drink it. I try to stick to caffeine free root beer, but sometimes a Dr. Pepper sneaks into the house. Of course, you know the nectar of the gods is Diet Pepsi. Mmmmmm.... :-)

You need to write more often! Your posts are fun and insightful.

Bev