Thursday, December 18, 2008

Work

I have been working part time outside the home for a few months. Who knew work could be such fun?

My boss is my BFF. She's a nut! She cracks me up everytime we are together....wait, maybe I'm the nut and she's the nut cracker? Anyhow, I can't imagine there is another job that is as fun as this job anywhere else in the world.

I work about 4 hours or less twice a week. We clean two car dealerships. You might think it is mindless, boring work, and well it could be. However, we make it our mission to entertain ourselves.

The salesmen working late, hunched over their desks, lift their heads and smile the biggest smiles when we walk in. Granted, the salesmen may be laughing at us and not smiling at us....um, let me explain. For holidays or other days that are deemed important, I dress up for work....hair in buns on either side of head (think Star Wars) with ribbons flowing down over them and/or a tiara, a magic wand (knitting needle with ribbons and lace), and a cleaning bucket (I do Special Services....more later). During this season of Christmas cheer, I also wear jingle bell ear rings and a jingle bell necklace. For those of you who know me, this is a little out of line with how I normally dress. It is rewarding to be greeted every night as I start work with a warm smile from the people whose offices I will be dusting (Special Services).

Some nights get to be long, especially when the younger staff decides to blow off work and the rest of us pick up the slack. On those nights, Mary and I get slap happy about 11:30 or so, IF we still have energy left. We have been known to sing at the top of our lungs, songs from the 1980's. I've done a bit of mop guitar. We have so much fun.

We end our nights at a building where we have access to tea and hot cocoa as well as the internet. We play games, check facebook, and chat while sitting there next to each other.

Silly, huh? I think that's why I like this job. I get to hang out with my very best friend, be silly, AND get paid! I can't think of a better match for me!

~Beth

No comments: